Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sleep is the Chicken Soup for My Soul Today:)

I decided to write in red today because it is happier than standard black.  Who wants to read the same old color black every day?  I don't care how interesting the story is.  Black makes things look like the same old thing. 

Why the title?  I am thankful for rest and the quantity of which I am getting today (and the days leading up to today!).  I am not usually one who likes too much sleep, because it makes me feel like I'm falling behind... but I think I deserve that little slice of daily vacation to snore, dream and be at peace.  The meds I am on are probably making me more tired than usual, but I guess its my new way of learning patience with myself.

As for chicken soup.  It is not my favorite food.  If I had to rename the book series I would name it "Pepperoni and Black Olives For the Soul: Which Crust Would You Like?"   Something good to look forward to.  Not a food I dread eating when I am cooped up sick with strep throat and a nose blockage. 

It's Sunday today, so we went to church.  I like going there.  Now more than ever.  I have had a new revelation come over me this week and it has been so comforting to me - moreso than anything I have ever felt.  I realize that it is so much easier to live with one intention: letting God lead my life... because I am His and am here for his purpose only. 

What purpose do I have in God's plan?  It doesn't really matter what I am meant to do in the world for a job....  It matters that I work and that I do something satisfying to God (and hopefully to me) but it doesn't matter how much I acquire and how I rank.  What a relief!  We should all ask ourselves who and what we're really going after.  Are we seeking God's will?  Or are we chasing an invisible tale/tail and wearing ourselves out doing it? 

Some great things to consider as you are in traffic or in a meeting this week or just walking the dog.  I hope this has inspired you to search yourself. 

More great truths to follow next Sunday!  Meet us at First Evangelical Free Church in Maplewood for the Word.  Everyone invited!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment