Monday, January 3, 2011

pIe LOVE YOU

Like many other people, I usually make a New Year's resolution to drop a few (or 20) pounds.  While I have never been successful in doing so, this year I really think I might have a shot of returning to my high school weight.  I have a walking buddy at work, I have a pedometer, I plan healthy meals... Clearly, I have covered all the bases in order to achieve my goal. 

However, I have one minor road block, and his name is Mr. Pie.

On New Year's Eve, Ben and I baked an Apple Pie. See Specimen A below.

Specimen A.  Tested 12/31/10. 

On Sunday, Ben and I went to his mom's house for a delicious Sunday meal, which she lovingly prepares each weekend.  This week, we had a delightfully moist beef roast smothered in creamy gravy, alongside of a pile of hearty carrots and red potatoes.   And for dessert... you guessed it!  PIE.  Not just one kind of pie, but two pies: apple and cherry.  And Donna gave me a giant piece of each.   See Specimens B/C below.

Specimens B/C.  Tested 1/2/11.

Today, I returned to work, fully intending to behave myself and forget all about my love affair with Mr. Pie.  However, I was sabbotaged by a delicious strawberry cheesecake which just so happened to be waiting for me in my cubicle.  My dear friend, Dr. Jeremy Swanson, baked this cheesecake just for me.  How can I turn that down?  See Specimen D below.

Specimen D.  Tested 1/3/11.

As if these pies aren't tempting enough on their own, each specimen was topped with a big blob of this:


In summary, my New Year's resolution may have to wait until all of the pie/cheesecake in my fridge is consumed.

Then, and only then, will I polish off the chocolate that I received for Christmas:



Obviously, there will be challenging times ahead of me, and possibly some larger pants.

Despite this problem, I will remain thankful for:
1) My mother-in-law:  the world's greatest cook!
2) Friends like Jeremy who leave treats on my desk - what a day brightener!
3) The ability to enjoy food and stay nourished when many are hungry

My love affair with Mr. Pie will likely continue into the future.  Don't worry, I will share him with you.

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment