Friday, January 21, 2011

Miracle on 149th St!

Who needs the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" when you can have your very own miracle on 149th St? 

What is this miracle of which I speak?  Something I cooked actually turned out.

That's right.  I cooked.

I got a cookbook from my friend Linda for Christmas, and while flipping through it, a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie caught my eye.  My parents used to make the frozen pot pies for dinner when I was younger, and I haven't had one since.  So, I decideed to relive the past and make a pot pie for myself, just like the good old days.  Except my pot pie was to be homemade.  None of this microwave crap.

While in the oven, it was bubbling and overflowing from the edges of the crust, leading me to believe I'd be cleaning out my oven tonight and eating a handful of Cheez-it's for dinner.  But looks can be deceiving.

Simply put, my pot pie was the bomb.  Recipe below.  A big shout-out to Rachel of Baldwin, Wisconsin, for entering this recipe into the Baldwin Christian School cookbook.  I don't know you, but I love you.

Peace out.
Renee

____________________________________________

Classic Pot Pie

Ingredients:
2 refrigerated pie crusts
1/3 c. margarine or butter
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 1/2 c. cooked chicken
2 c. thawed mixed frozen veggies

Instructions:
Heat oven to 425F.  Lay 1st pie crust into 9.5" pie plate.  Melt butter and saute onion for 2 minutes or until tender.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Gradually stir in both milk and broth.  Cook until smooth and bubbly.  Add chicken and veggies.  Spoon into crust.  Cover with top crust, seal and slit.  Bake 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment