Friday, February 4, 2011

Wonewok Day 2: The BEST Day of My Life!

Feb 3, 2011 will go down in history as the best day of my life.  Well, at least until an even more amazing day happens!

Why was it the best day of my life? 

1) I woke up in a beautiful lodge room (nevermind that I was crazy sore from skiing yesterday!)
2) I ate creme brulee pancakes for breakfast.
3) I got to spend the majority of the day with my best friend
4) I got to practice my skiing, surrounded by the most peaceful woods, with 3 of my friends
5) I got to pet horses
6) I ate a piece of warm apple pie by a roaring bonfire
7) I went dogsledding!
8) I got to snowshoe with a great friend
9) I saw my friends be silly and have fun
10) I ate an amazing dinner
11) I got thrown in several snowbanks and laughed so hard that it hurt
12) I had so much fun that I am still awake at 4AM because I'm too happy to sleep

OK, so that was just a summary.  Now, here's the full story:

I got 3 hours of sleep last night.  After working on the VP's presentation til 3AM, I finally went to bed and woke back up at 6AM.  3 hours of sleep is sufficient when you have excitement to keep you awake!

Breakfast was served at 8AM.  Immediately following, we had a quick group gathering and then were set free for another day of fun!  

Because my skiing experience wasn't the greatest yesterday, Tim offered to go out with me today and help me learn how to not fall down.   I gladly accepted his offer, and by 9AM I was wearing skis and gliding across a lake.  Our friends Jeremy and Mike joined us, but they chose to snowshoe instead.

Me not falling down:

Tim, Me & Jeremy:

After I skied across the lake without falling down, we headed into the woods.  We skied for about 3 hours, and I had a blast!  I only had one major wipe-out, but it was a fun one!

This looks worse than it was.

I get by with a little help from my friends:

At noon, we were scheduled to attend a Loggers Lunch out in the woods.  Everyone was riding a horse-drawn sleigh to the lunch, but Tim, Jeremy, Mike and I skied/snowshoed to lunch instead.  The horses were taking the same trail as us, so we were fortunate to see them prance by several times.  They were beautiful!


When we arrived at the Loggers Lunch, we were treated to a chuckwagon-style meal of chili, brats, and apple pie, along with warm beverages, and beer.  I scarfed down my lunch so I'd have more time to pet the horses.



After lunch, everybody took the sleigh back to the lodge, except for Tim and I.  We kept on skiing!  As we got closer to the lodge, we could hear barking... which could only mean one thing!  Dogsledding time!

The sled pulled 2 people, so Tim and I rode together.  What a rush!  It was so much fun watching the dogs run across the frozen lake.  They were so sweet and fuzzy and happy!!! 


Getting dragged across the ice by a bunch of crazy pups:
 



After the thrilling dogsledding experience, Tim and I parted ways and I joined up with my buddy Thomas.  Thomas is a snowshoeing fanatic, and I've always wanted to hit the trails with him.  This was the perfect opportunity to do so!  So, off we went, through the woods and across the ice.  It was fun and very peaceful, but seemed kind of boring after skiing all morning, which was much more thrilling.  Regardless, I had a great time hanging with Thomas and enjoying the outdoors.


Between skiing, dogsledding and snowshoeing, I was beat by dinner time, but there was still so much to do!  We had a wine and cheese tasting event where I had to kiss the moose (a Wonewok tradition - everyone must kiss the moose hanging above the front door of the lodge), then a fancy dinner, followed by a shuffleboard tournament.  My shuffleboard partner, Karen, and I didn't make it past the first round, so I was able to just hang out and watch everyone else have fun. 

Tim, me and Jeremy at Dinner.  Love these guys!

Me kissing the moose:

Shuffleboard

It was only a matter of time before shuffleboard transitioned into beer-pong, which was even more entertaining.  While I neither drink, nor support drinking games, I must admit I enjoyed watching everyone else get sloshed.  Let's just say I have a lot of great blackmail material now. :)

Beer pong

Trouble-makers

The evening ended with me getting tossed in a snowbank at 1AM and rolling down a hill, followed by warming up in the lodge and talking and laughing all night with my buddies next to a crackling fire. 

Best. Day. Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment